Why the titles: registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN), holistic nutritionist (HN), health coach...
Updated: Dec 12, 2020
Published: 08/20/17 | Revised: 03/28/20
Did you know…a registered dietitian (RD) can be a health coach…? It's important to go beyond the title.
Consider a persons background!
Consider the following: 1. Education (edu)
2. Politics (food / health is just that…politics)
3. Business (a financial narrative) Any business-minded-person has a fiduciary responsibility.
4. Control (industry based to drive profits) Monopolizing….limits choice by obtaining exclusive possession or control of (a trade, commodity, or service).
Our safety? Example: some RDNs feel….an (unqualified) nutritionist can cause harm.
Nutritionist...isn’t a registered (regulated / protected) term or title.
So, technically, anyone can use the title, nutritionist.
However, there’s another side…. Example: some RDNs do not want to compete w/ other qualified nutritionist (non-RDs).
See how complex this can get?
There’s a financial narrative (it’s about protecting profits).
– So, dietitians may push an RDN act: to strictly allow & only permit RDNs to practice / provide (nutrition advice / services) – which controls and limits the free-flow-of-info; therefore, monopolizing an industry (including the internet) and restricting non-RDs.
Common accusations worth noting:
The term / title, nutritionist / health coach (HC) is NOT regulated....
– However, almost everyone has a title — how can someone market w/ out one?
HCs spread misinformation, right?
– Actually, anyone can be misinformed…
– that includes: RDNs and MDs.
Some RDs feel (HCs are trying to sell stuff)...is that true?
– RDs are no different – they push industry-based-protocols (a profit system).
– For many years, the Dietetic industry was funded by junk-food sponsors.
If you don’t understand..there was a conflict of interest and unethical acts.
Example: Coronary Heart Disease Policy.
Example: Edible Oil Industry.
Example: Craft cheese.
Example: Coca-Cola Company.
Due to public scrutiny: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) parted ways w/ some junk food sponsors. Some Dietitians were outraged.
Which one is better?!
I don’t know…you tell me…who benefits?
– HC / RD or the patient / client?
It’s the same act perpetrated by both subjects (in a similar industry).